When you think of self-care, do you imagine yourself lying on the sofa in a huge pink towel robe, your hair in some sort of cocoon, a facemask and cucumber over your eyes? Well, yes, this is self-care, but actually there is a lot more to it.
Five things which maybe you hadn’t considered as self-care.
1. Thinking about the way me make decisions and who we are actually are making these decisions for is hugely important. Are you a yes girl? Do you have to be there for everyone and always be the one that people rely on? This is a great quality to have, but sometimes we need to revaluate why we’re making these decisions and who they’re actually benefiting.
2. Reminding ourselves that sometimes we have to be selflessly selfish, this might mean saying no to something, feeling like you’re letting someone down, but all in the name of looking after yourself so that in the long run, you can be there for everyone with genuine interest and a balanced viewpoint.
Reminding ourselves that sometimes we have to be selflessly selfish...
3. Self-care also means having conversations that we don’t really want to have! When we let things harbour and simmer, we are building up these stresses and anxieties which can reveal themselves in all sorts of ways. So, clear the air, set the record straight, whatever you call it, these conversations need to be had.
4. What goes around comes around: doing something nice for someone else. When we do good, we feel good, but not only this, we attract more positivity when we feel good. Call up that friend who you know would love to hear from you, go and take your housemate a coffee or make your partner their favourite meal.
What goes around comes around...
5. Setting time aside with no screens. Ok, this one is more of an obvious self-care ritual, but valuable none the less! Having 30 mins before bed with no screens is a good way to create a space for sleep, not only this, screens emit a blue light which makes it more difficult to sleep, so if you’re anything like me and sleep is sacred, you’ll do this starting from tonight!
So if you’re anything like me and sleep is sacred, you’ll do this starting from tonight!
Whatever you chose to do, set aside some time each day to do something for you.